IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING FILING A BANKRUPTCY CASE, PLEASE CALL TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A CONSULTATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE CONSULTATION.
Gather the necessary documents you MUST bring these to your initial consultation
- All bills, statements and coupon books. If you are not able to locate these documents, you may bring a credit report. See information below on "How to Order a Credit Report."
- If you are buying a home or other real estate, bring a recent statement or coupon book.
- If you are buying an automobile, bring a recent statement or coupon book.
- Proof of your income for the last two (2) months:
If you are paid monthly, bring your 2 most recent payroll stubs
If you are paid biweekly, bring your 4 most recent payroll stubs
If you are paid semimonthly, bring your 4 most recent payroll stubs
If you are paid weekly, bring your 8 most recent payroll stubs.
If you have other income such as pension or Social Security income, bring proof of your income. If you receive income by direct deposit to your bank account, you may bring your bank statement as proof of income.
- Federal Income Tax Returns for the two (2) prior tax years
- Certificate of PreBankruptcy Credit Counseling. See information below, "Requirement to Obtain a Certificate of Prebankruptcy Credit Counseling." NOTE: YOU MAY SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A CONSULTATION BEFORE OBTAINING A CREDIT COUNSELING CERTIFICATE. IF A BANKRUPTCY CASE IS RIGHT FOR YOU, THEN YOU CAN OBTAIN THE CERTIFICATE WHILE THE BANKRUPTCY CASE IS BEING PREPARED BY THE ATTORNEY.
Obtain a certificate of Pre-Bankruptcy credit counseling this is REQUIRED
You are not eligible to file a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Petition (Debtors Court) or a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Petition unless you obtain a certificate of pre-bankruptcy credit counseling.
The credit counseling must occur within 180 days prior to filing bankruptcy. The Consumer Financial Education Foundation of America, Inc. has been approved by the Bankruptcy Administrator's Office to provide a Certificate of Pre-Bankruptcy Credit Counseling.
CONSUMER FINANCIAL EDUCATION FOUNDATION OF AMERICA (CFEFA)
3425 5th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35222
Phone: (205) 321-2822
Fax: (205) 321-2848
Instructions to obtain a Credit Counseling certificate:
- You will need to make an appointment or visit the CFEFA website at www.CFEFA.org (If you choose to appear in person for the consultation, the counseling usually takes approximately 30 minutes).
- The fee is $35.00 (cash or debit card).
- You will need a picture identification and your Social Security Card (if it is available).
- You will need proof of your income for the past two (2) months.
- You will need your bills and statements to show the amount of your debt.
- Pay the $35.00 fee with a debit card
- Send a copy of your driver’s license
Credit Report How To Order Your Credit Report
TO ORDER A FREE CREDIT REPORT ONLINE or BY MAIL:
You have the right to obtain a free credit report once every 12 months.
To obtain free credit report from Equifax, TransUnion, or Experian, go to the following website:
You may also obtain your free credit report by contacting:
ANNUAL CREDIT REPORT REQUEST SERVICE
THE THREE NATIONAL CONSUMER CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES:
EQUIFAX CREDIT INFORMATION SERVICES
PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0123
EXPERIAN INFORMATION SERVICES
PO Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013-0036
TRANSUNION CONSUMER RELATIONS
PO Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022